We don't always choose
the circumstances of our lives,
but we CAN choose our response.
is about transforming life's lemons,
and fully living the life you have,
even if it's not the life you wanted.
Dealing Successfully with Life Transitions
We all face many transitional phases in our lives. Some can be anticipated (such as marriage, birth of a child, retirement, death) while others may be thrust upon us suddenly (such as a major accident, illness, job loss, or unexpected end of a relationship). Whether expected or not, transitions are often difficult periods. You may feel angry, anxious, out of control, panicky, depressed, or even suicidal.
Transition Seminars® is a program designed to assist those in a transitional stage, that unsettling “pause between trapezes.” You’ll work with a skilled professional who also has personal experience with life transitions, in a group discussing the particular type of transition you are experiencing. We meet in a safe and confidential environment, to address such common concerns as:
- anger and/or despair about my situation
- managing stress and grief over my losses
- feelings of guilt about burdening others with my feelings, which sometimes leads to my not getting what I need
- fears about my future
- difficulty dealing with concerned family and friends
- developing and maintaining a positive outlook
- finding the Blessing in Disguise, a silver lining in the stormy situation
TRANSITION SEMINARS® consists of eight structured meetings, in a group of 6-8 people. No additional participants are added to a group once it has begun.
Each session is two hours in length, including:
Sessions include materials for discussion and for take-home challenges, processing, or inspiration. There is also an inspirational slide show included in the seminar. Each week’s curriculum addresses areas of concern such as those listed above, with the overriding purposes of:
- addressing issues of grief and loss in the situation
- enhancing coping skills and survival strategies
- increasing self-esteem in the face of perceived rejection
- improving attitude and outlook
- instilling hope
- inspiring the creation of meaning-making in the face of loss.
Most insurance plans will cover this program, in the same way they pay for treatment of depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues (Medi-Cal or Medicare are, unfortunately, not able to be taken at this time). Major credit cards are accepted.
Groups meet in a comfortable environment in Sherman Oaks. Additional groups scheduled by arrangement in other locations around the Los Angeles area or elsewhere. Please contact Dr. Jaffe for more information regarding group schedules, initial interviews, and fees.
Note that because each seminar focuses on a specific type of life transition, schedules depend on gathering a group with a similar issue at a particular time.